The Language, Culture and Church for International Priests & Religious (LCCIPR) program is a three week intensive curriculum designed to acclimate priests and religious from other nations to life and ministry in the United States.
The program achieves this objective by focusing on several areas:
- Public speaking and language skills, with particular focus on accent reduction, pronunciation, and American idioms
- American culture, drawing material from American literature and the history of the Catholic Church in the U.S.
- Work relationships in the American cultural context, for example: working with women in ministry and getting along with the diocesan presbyterate
- The preparation for and celebration of Sacraments in the Church in the U.S., with classes on celebration of particular sacraments and preaching
- Additional areas of more personal import, such as dealing with the diversity of cultures and adaptation, personal boundaries in relationships, and dealing with affluence.
The parameters of the LCCIPR program extend beyond the traditional classroom setting. All LCCIPR participants celebrate Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours in common in the Seminary’s Holy Cross Oratory and also occasionally join the monastic community for liturgy. Masses and prayers are recorded so that the celebrants and prayer leaders can see themselves in action and focus on areas of improvement. Additionally, there are opportunities for group outings or events on campus in the evenings and on weekends.
The 2014 LCCIPR Program will be July 1 - July 25.
We believe the LCCIPR program addresses a great need in the Church of the United States: helping good priests remove the obstacles they face in transitioning to ministry in another country.
If you are interested in the LCCIPR program, please contact Sr. Maria Armijo, Director of the LCCIPR program.
Sr. Maria Armijo, LCCIPR Director
Conception Seminary College
P.O. Box 502
Conception, MO 64433
Phone: (660) 944-2818
Fax: (660) 944-2829